Sport & Physical Activity
For more information contact Head of Department:
Mrs J Cartlidge - firstname.lastname@example.org
Brief introduction to subject:
Our Level 3 Cambridge Technical Extended Certificate in Sport and Physical Activity has been designed as the perfect vocational alternative to A Level Physical Education. Made up of either five or six units (depending upon units chosen), this qualification provides your students with the knowledge and skills required for progression – making sure they’re prepared to progress to degree level, an apprenticeship or employment.
There are three mandatory units; Unit 1 and Unit 2 as detailed above, plus Unit 3 Sports Organisation and Development that’s assessed by a 60 minute written exam made up of short or long answer questions. Your students also choose either two or three units from a selection of nine optional units that are all internally assessed.
The key points of this specification are that:
It is a course that is designed to be more coursework based rather than just exam based.
- Whilst practical performance levels don’t have to be exceptional, knowledge of sport is required to complete the coursework.
- Your knowledge of human biology needs to be of an adequate standard to recognise the effects of exercise on the body and how this will influence sporting performance.
- The ability to meet deadlines with high quality work is essential; lots of this work will be done during your own time (eg research, revision and coursework completion).
What our students say
“I enjoy PE because it makes you think about how the body is made and how amazing it is. It has all the mechanisms to keep us alive without even realising. I also enjoy it because it is linked with Biology and Psychology to an extent.”
"I chose a PE because I want to go into sports physiotherapy, therefore sports was a sufficient and good course for me to choose. So far I enjoy learning about all the bones and muscles in the body, as that is what I find the most interesting in my opinion."
PE - Grade 5 or L2 Pass
English - Grade 4+
Science - Grade 4+
There are three mandatory units; Unit 1 and Unit 2, plus Unit 3 Sports Organisation and Development that’s assessed by a 60 minute written exam made up of short or long answer questions. Your students also choose either two or three units from a selection of nine optional units that are all internally assessed through coursework.
Several units will be taught over the two years of the course with both internal and external assessments. The external assessments are written papers
Unit 1 - body systems and the effects of physical activity
Unit 3 – Sports organisation and development. The final mandatory unit 2 is sports coaching and activity leadership and is internally assessed. After these three units there is one optional unit that must be completed, and there is a choice of four. The unit that is chosen will depend on the dynamics of the group that begin the course.
- Successful completion of the whole course carries UCAS points equivalent to one A Level.
- In addition to the above, it is ideal preparation for a career in the sporting industry and higher education.
- Successful candidates may also open avenues for sports science, sports management and sports / fitness coaching studies degrees at university.